January 3, 2013 by 8junebugs
This was a much more exciting list for 2011, I think. I made Big Moves in 2011. In 2012, I think I was staging the Big Moves of 2013. Even so…onward:
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? Bought and wore maternity clothes. AND I LIKED IT.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? The word for this year was Home. Given that we’re on the path to real estate and we’re bringing a child into the world, I think I got there.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes — welcome, Ryder! But really, almost all the babies I know about — and they are LEGION — are due within the next five months.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, but a very young woman, a friend of a friend, died at the very end of 2012 after kicking lung cancer’s ass for two years. I didn’t know you could miss someone you’ve never met.
5. What places did you visit? Oh, dear. We didn’t venture much off the beaten path this year. We visited family and went to Santa Monica for a couple of days, but that’s pretty much it.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? A place to live for longer than a year at a time. (Yes. This again.)
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? September 24, because the start date of a new job is sort of critical to accessing benefits.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Nailing down a full-time job that I love and that supports my weird little family in all the right ways.
9. What was your biggest failure? I signed up for a half-marathon that I didn’t get to run.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I strained the hell out of my hip training (badly) for the half-marathon that I didn’t get to run.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Tie: Kindle Paperwhite and two hours of housecleaning at the holidays.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Rodney. He’s a GOOD BOY! Good boy, puppy!!! Who’s a good boy?!?!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? John Boehner, et al. Also Mitt Romney and just about everyone who voted for him.
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent. Good god, I am so done with renting.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Making a whole new person.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? ”Some Nights” by Fun.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Even happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Pregnant.
c) richer or poorer? About the same, although on more solid financial footing.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Beach time. I’m pretty sure we didn’t get out there once in 2012, which is just dumb.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2012? Cooking dinner for four (see also: “Home”). Graham’s parents came here this year to prevent me from getting stranded in the snowy Sierras with a pregnant bladder. We also had a bunch of family over on Boxing Day, which I think I could love as a new tradition.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Yes. There’s something about knowing that your kid will be half you and half the person you love the most that shines a spotlight on that love.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Downton Abbey…at least up through the 2012 Christmas special. Oy. HAVE YOU NO SHAME, WRITERS?
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2012? Took a walk in the city. Ate some cupcakes.
24. What was the best book you read? Ugh. I read a lot, but not much that I’d keep on the shelves, were I still keeping books on the shelves. The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs was entertaining. I also read Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds, which was nice and validating.
25. What did you want and get? A second term for the president. Also a new shredder.
26. What did you want and not get? Not much. I want for little and am very, very lucky most of the time.
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Les Mis pretty much blew me away, although I thought they did an excellent job adapting Hunger Games.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes! Yay!
29.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More respect for certain rules and property rights — I now hate middle-of-the-night hot tub parties, especially the ones thrown by non-residents. I am also not fond of dog owners who do not pick up after their pets. You don’t have to get off my lawn, but you damn sure better not leave poop on it.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? If it’s not stretchy and soft, I want no part of it.
31. What kept you sane? Nothing. I’ve spent the last six months ruled by hormones run amok.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I’ve got a soft spot for Cory Booker, but Elizabeth Warren is my homegirl. There aren’t many politicians who make you think, “Damn, I wish I lived there so I could vote for her, too.”
33. What political issue stirred you the most? My own right to my own damn body. Attention legislators: This pregnant woman would like you to know that there’s no way in hell I would go through this against my will.
34. Who did you miss? Mom, Grand, and Memere — all the women whose experiences of childbirth would most relevant and useful right now. Given the way I would like to birth this child, I suspect Memere would be the most valuable resource…also the least likely to think it was an appropriate topic of conversation.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. I can do this.