April 30, 2008 by 8junebugs
A ridiculous apartment community newsletter recently held a blurb on knowing yourself to be healthy. Pretty sure I threw it out during the move, but I think it was on my fridge long enough to remember a couple of the points therein.
I’ve done this before, I think. But it’s helpful to redo it from time to time — knowing when to change the list is probably pretty important.
What makes you happy?
- Writing something that deeply affects someone else
- Hugs…I’m mushy
- Sharing a bottle of wine with a friend
- When staying in is more fun than going out
- Feeding people…dinner, dessert, whatever
- Making up words
- Learning something new
- Little kids giggling
- Fresh coffee and a good bagel
- Waking up next to someone who knows you better than you know yourself and is watching you sleep
- The smell of the Pacific
- Fresh sheets
- Changing leaves
- Friends who love me and aren’t afraid to call me on my shit (i.e., stopping at my favorite winery just to bring me back a t-shirt AND telling me when what I’m doing takes a special kind of stupid)
- Very loud percussion — vocal and instrumental
What makes you sad?
- Knowing that I’ve hurt someone I love, especially if I’m far away
- Seeing old people eating alone in McDonald’s
- When good people can’t catch a break
- Movies about heroic animals, especially puppies
- Wanting to help and not being able to, for whatever reason
- Falling short of my own expectations
- Friends: The one(s) where Ross and Rachel figure out they can’t not be together. I cry every time.
- Any kind of discrimination or belief in stereotypes
- That I can live the way I do when other people can’t get three meals a day
- People who don’t take the time to be kind
How have your lists changed?