Recipe: Breakfast PiesLeave a comment
January 22, 2010 by 8junebugs
Dudes. These are easy, tasty, and probably open to healthy modification, if you are so inclined. (I am, but “healthy biscuit dough” is a tall order.)
- 3/4 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/8 cup minced onion
- 1/8 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can refrigerated biscuit dough
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, combine sausage, onion and green pepper. Cook until sausage is evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- Separate the dough into 10 individual biscuits. Flatten each biscuit out, then line the bottom and sides of 10 muffin cups.
- Evenly distribute sausage mixture between the cups.
- Mix together the eggs and milk, and divide between the cups. Sprinkle tops with shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until filling is set.
Because I always start with a perfectly lovely recipe and then muck about with it, here’s what I did this time:
- Used turkey breakfast sausage.
- Used onion powder instead of chopped onion, because I used up all my onions in soups and red sauces.
- Cooked it, set it aside, forgot to crumble it.
- Added about a 1/2 T. of veggie oil to what little fat was left from the sausage, then sauteed chopped baby bellas and mixed bell peppers. Added the sausage back in to heat and mix.
- Used fakey eggs in deference to my dietary intolerance and because pouring eggstuff out of a carton is so freaking easy for this recipe.
(via a wicked smart colleague who adapted it from somewhere else. I think.)